Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Thursday, January 15, 2015

UNISON support for PCS - now is the time!

http://www.jonrogers1963.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/an-early-xmas-present-for-tories.html?m=1

Regular readers (Sid and Doris Blogger) will know that I am never wrong.

Sometimes, however, in my eagerness to share my views I can omit context as I may have done in the link above.

In the case of the decision by our comrades in PCS to delay their annual elections I still disagree with that decision. It was wrong.

However I have to accept that my critical comment on that decision must be read in a context which that comment did not provide. It can also be read as a personal attack upon Mark Serwotka which I never intended (and never would).

This Government is seeking to destroy PCS.

It seeks to do this by preventing the collection of union subscriptions from salaries from 1 April.

This would devastate the income of any trade union.

This is vengeance from the Tories for PCS having stood up to them over the attack on public service pensions.

Supporters of UNISON General Secretary, Dave Prentis, must be mindful of the risk that he may be portrayed as an accessory to such vengeance. I am sure they will be alive to the importance of rebutting any such suggestion.

It is deeply unfortunate that Tory Minister Francis Maude dictated that UNISON should be give negotiating rights in the civil service in circumstances in which this could so easily be made to appear a reward for UNISON having done the employers' bidding over pensions. (We don't need such rights and ought really to repudiate this unwelcome offer).

I am sure we in UNISON never meant to make ourselves look like Tory stooges in this way!
Now would be a good time for us to make our support for PCS crystal clear.

What good luck that we have an NEC meeting so soon at which Dave will be able to express his unequivocal support for PCS and unconditional support for their response to Tory attacks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network.

No comments: