Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Let me tell you where to put your red poppy...

My poppy is white.


If you want a red poppy you commemorate the British war dead (but not others).

And you say that charity – rather than the state – should provide for those injured serving in “our” armed forces.

I do not recognise my presence in any first person plural which has “armed forces”.

I am not British.

If it comes to claiming “ownership” of armed forces, I am not English.

I am both a Londoner and a Brightonian.

But more than that, before (and after) that (and forever) I am a citizen or the world.

I am a worker.

The whole world is my country.

Too many have died in vain.

I oppose all war.

1 comment:

Hassina said...

Well said.