Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Goings on at the UNISON Centre

Today I've attended a meeting of UNISON's National Executive Council at the UNISON Centre in the Euston Road.

I'll blog a proper report of the substantive content of the meeting shortly but thought I would share one or two unusual happenings (for those who are interested - and if you're not interested then this isn't the blog for you)‎.

First, the already delayed start of our meeting was set back a further half hour by a failure of the technology which connects the two meeting rooms on the first and ninth floors.

Apparently everything had been tested and was working fine earlier, but those of us attending from the first floor (because the ninth floor Conference Centre is not accessible for all members) could not be heard, and eventually had to move rooms.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was in the room where the equipment failed but it was nothing to do with me.

Later, whilst waiting for a further meeting in the impressive atrium of the UNISON Centre I narrowly avoided being soaked as torrential rain found its way through the glass ceiling.

For the avoidance of doubt, I was in the atrium when the roof let bucket loads of rain in but it was nothing to do with me.

In the mean time, and for the first time in my years on the NEC, so many questions were asked of the regular report on internal disciplinary issues that they could not be answered during the meeting.

As to why that might have happened, I really couldn't comment.

Well I could, but I won't.

Yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the EE network.


No comments: