Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Friday, January 03, 2014

Has anyone seen a Conference database?

This is a blog post for all my friends and readers at the UNISON Centre.

I'm worried about a missing database. 

This is how I realised it was missing.

Like anyone who is as arrogant as they are self-obsessed I sometimes read old blog posts.

Back in 2009 I blogged with characteristic intemperance concerning my views about a decision taken by our TUC delegation that year (http://jonrogers1963.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/tuc-delegation-meeting-fails-to.html).

In that blog post I referred to a Conference decision which I felt the delegation were in breach of.  Upon looking back at this blog post I couldn’t remember the decision but, knowing that UNISON’s website has for many years provided public access to a database of Conference decisions, I knew I could follow the link I had blogged at that time.

So I followed the link in that blog post to http://cms.unison.co.uk/MotionText.asp?DocumentID=1000229.

And this is what I found;

“The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Where is the Conference database? Search our new (all singing, all dancing) website for the phrase “Conference database” (once you’ve logged in of course) and you’ll be told;

Your search - Conference database - did not match any documents.
o                 Are all words spelled correctly?
o                 Try searching again with different, more general or fewer keywords
o                 Start from the UNISON homepage or why not Browse the UNISON knowledge base.”

The availability in public to all UNISON members of a database of all our past Conference decisions is a vital part of trade union democracy. For a database to be available it has to be easy to find.


Where is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a polite house trained rebel you are Jon