Now -read the book!

Here is a link to my memoirs which, if you are a glutton for punishment, you can purchase online at https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/an-obscure-footnote-in-trade-union-history.
Men fight and lose the battle, and the thing that they fought for comes about in spite of their defeat, and when it comes turns out not to be what they meant, and other men have to fight for what they meant under another name. (William Morris - A Dream of John Ball)

Thursday, October 08, 2009

More on the three companies project

In earlier posts I have commented upon the "three companies" project in which UNISON will be assisted by our sister union from the USA - the SEIU - to organise and recruit staff employed by three particular multinational companies.

In response to questions which I posed at the NEC I was advised that the Project Sponsor for this project is our Deputy General Secretary Keith Sonnet - who has promised me answers to further questions, about which I shall report back and/or blog in due course.

There are clearly many legitimate questions to ask about the SEIU's internal regime and its relations with other US trade unions - however I cannot see why any of these mean that UNISON should not seek to learn from the recruitment record of a trade union with an impressive record of growth.

UNISON is a lay led trade union in which dissent remains possible (and I will continue to dissent as necessary!)

No comments: